As the weather gets colder, cold and flu kicks in. Before, you seek medical attention or buy medicine in the drug store, try this homemade natural flu remedy to fight symptoms of cough, sore throat, flu, cold and more.
Here is what you will need:
Lemon contains high amounts of vitamin C that neutralizes the free radicals in the body and helps to keep the immune system strong. It also helps to reduce the severity and duration of the systems if you are already suffering from a cold or flu.
Cinnamon is also very beneficial in treating a cold. It contains anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and antioxidants properties.
Ginger has been use for many years to loosen up congestion and cure sore throat caused by a cold. Ginger can also be used to settle an upset stomach, treat nausea, dizziness, cold sweats and vomit. Ginger sweats out the body toxins which is very helpful when you have a flu or cold.
Cloves contains high amounts of enzymes, vitamin C and minerals such as selenium and sulphur. It has powerful antiviral, antibiotic and antioxidant properties which are effective in healing flu and colds. They also provide expectorant and decongestant effects.
This is a very effective anti-inflammatory. It helps to reduce inflammation as well as relieve gastrointestinal discomfort.
Cayenne is great for warming the body. It can also help with poor appetite and stomach problems. The Indians use cayenne to help with circulatory problems.
Honey contains small amounts of folate and vitamin C. it is used to sooth the throat making it a natural and very effective cough suppressant. This decreases the risk of fever and helps to enhance the ability of the body to fight infection. The sweetness of lemon also balances the sourness of ginger and lemon giving this ginger, lemon and honey tea a soothing flavor.
- Juice from a half medium sized lemon
- 3 cups of water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 slices, a quarter thick inch of fresh ginger
- A half table spoon of turmeric
- A quarter teaspoon of cloves
- 1 tbsp raw, natural honey, you can add more to achieve your preferred sweetness.
- A pinch of cayenne
- Add the ingredients apart from the honey in a pot and mix well.
- Place the pot on medium heat and bring it to boil then reduce the heat to allow the mixture simmer.
- Now add the honey and mix well. Taste to ensure you have achieved your desired sweetness
- Put the tea through a strainer and drink it when it is still warm for more effective results.